All classes except outreach classes and special classes (see below) meet at our space at 1404 West Idaho in downtown Boise, Idaho!
Our most popular option!
- Band Classes are classes that function as a real band. In class students learn cover songs, write original songs, hone group problem-solving skills, and get really good on their respective instruments.
- Creativity is the name of the game!
- The Band Class is a mix of private and group instructions. Class size is between 2-5 students and students are grouped by skill, age and musical interests.
- Band Classes are broken up into 3 month sessions. Every 3 months we have a huge “Session Gig” at Boise’s historic (and acoustically stupendous) Linen Building.
- Band Classes also have the opportunity to play extracurricular gigs as well. These gigs occur everywhere!
- *Band Classes meet once a week for 1.5 hours. Class times are available at 4 pm and 6 pm on weekdays. For the younger students (age 6-8), we also have the option of doing a 1 hour class instead of the full 1.5 hours.
- If a student doesn’t feel ready for a “band” (i.e., he or she is a complete beginner) then we recommend doing a series of private lessons (see below) to prep for the “Regular Program.”
This class is for the little guys!
- Students in the “Little Rockers” class are in a band with mini-rockers.
- In 6 weeks, kids form a band, write their own awesome theme song, record it and perform it in front of an audience!
- Class meets for 45 minutes each week.
- With the little guys, we utilize the Orff Method of teaching whereby instruments are often tuned to specific chord or key.
So maybe we’re not roasting marshmallows and skipping stones, but we are firing up some amps and throwin’ down some killer rock. We love camps!
- We offer camps during all school breaks (including the extremely popular summer camp). During the course of a camp, kids form a band, choose a name, learn and write a few tunes and give a concert at the end of the camp.
- We also offer recording camps, songwriting camps, string section camps and “little rockers” camps
We have two options for privates
- For students that are complete beginners and eventually want to enter our Regular Program we offer discounted, 30 minute private lessons to provide the foundation they need. These private take place during our Regular Program class time (between 4 pm and 7:30 pm on weekdays) in our main room.
- For students that are only interested in private lessons (and not interested in joining our Regular Program) we offer regular private lessons. These lessons are generally 45 minutes in length and are coordinated between the individual teacher and the student.
You’re never too old to rock, and you’re never too old to go back to school! Grown-ups get the same stellar instruction, and gig at venues across Boise.
Recording and Production Arts:
Believe it or not, we have a great little studio at our downtown space. We have a Mac running Pro-tools, Logic and Garage band. Conversion is done via a Lynx Aurora 16. For pre-amps we offer an API 3125k, a Mercury M76m, a Presonus Firepod and a large Mackie board. For a sample of songs recorded at our studio please check out: soundcloud.com/boiserockschool.
- We offer specific recording classes that follow the class length and session length of regular program. Currently these classes are on Saturday mornings.
- We also offer “drop-in” recording times to our current students. These recording times occur in 3-hour blocks. The recording times are supervised by our in-house recording engineer.
Though many of many of our Regular Program students write original music in their classes, we also offer songwriting specific classes each session. These classes not only focus on the development of original songs, but also cover a wide array of songs from Motown to metal.
The Boise Rock School goes back to school through the Educational Outreach Program. We tailor these programs to fit each school’s needs. We currently work with a number of area schools to complement their arts and music curriculum, including Foothills School of Arts and Sciences, ANSER Charter School, and Riverstone International School. We also hit the road to do educational outreach in towns across Idaho such as Salmon and Twin Falls. If you represent a music program at your school and want to integrate the Boise Rock School concept, contact us for more details!
Other Special Offerings:
- Supervised drop-in recording for current students at our recording studio
- Birthday parties-let us throw a birthday party for your son or daughter. You supply the cake, we supply the music.
- DJ classes
- Adult Recording Classes
- Corporate Team Building
- We do workshops all over the Boise area. These workshops can be specifically tailored to the venue’s needs.
Our concerts are legendary.
Here is some video from the very first class we gave in the summer of 2008. The band’s name is Zap 5. Last we heard, they were touring somewhere in Japan. Rock on!